Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Attack of the Ass-Bats

I said before that things would be difficult without Derrek Lee. I also said that whining about it wouldn’t help, and that our boys would need to suck it up and hold down the fort until Lee gets off the DL.

Well, I was half right. The Cubs have sucked, but that’s about it. It seems to be an extreme case of what Batgirl refers to as “Ass-Bats.”

After the Ass-Bats showed up in full force during the last four games (four runs total against the Brewers and Pirates), the Conventional Wisdom from the punditocracy said that the team was struggling because Lee wasn’t in the lineup. Not having Lee doesn’t help matters, but be serious – not even Lee could save this crew.

The problem, once again, is that no one is getting on base. The entire team is at fault, as the .312 team OBP indicates. But I think it’s fair to single out Juan Pierre, Jacques Jones, and Aramis Ramirez for special consideration.

I mean, we brought in Pierre to be the leadoff guy we needed to make the offense run. Jones was allegedly an upgrade over Burnitz in right. And Aramis…I had such high hopes for you this year…Perhaps you’re pressing to carry the team in Lee’s absence. Or maybe you just haven’t hit your stride yet. But whatever the reason, you’re bringing the Ass-Bat. Anytime you want to stop is OK with me.

The latest rumor has the Cubs interested in Tony Clark. Jeebus help me. Will Clark add so much to the offense to make it worth our while? I doubt it. And do we need a guy like Clark on the bench when Lee comes back? I’m sure we don’t.

To their credit, the Cubs haven’t tanked it since Lee went down. Considering the imminent doom predicted for them, hanging around .500 without Lee isn’t the worst thing that could happen. But unless they find a way to ditch the Ass-Bats, staying at .500 is going to be a pipe dream.

*** On the plus side, Kerry Wood continues to make progress from his various injuries. The latest news is that he will make a rehab start on Sunday. The best-case scenario has him rejoining the Cubs on 17 May. I’ve got my fingers crossed…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home