Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ground Rule Single

I got this e-mail alert from my work buddy Mark the Burrito Eater. It is the awesome-est thing I've heard all day:

Dmitri Young just had a ground-rule single.

It was the bottom of the ninth, one out, game tied. He hit the ball deep and almost foul with a runner on third. The Marlins fielder knew if he caught it he could never throw out the runner so he let it drop in hopes it would go foul. It landed just inside the line and bounced up and into the stands. Once Dmitri rounded first the team started celebrating and he didn’t make it to second. The announcer came back later and said it was a ground-rule single.

Please ignore the fact that I was listening to a Nationals/Marlins game on the radio. Only because the Blue Jays/Tigers game is a blowout.


I love goofy oddball plays like this. Perhaps someday it will make Retrosheet's list of strange plays. Thanks for the tip, Mark!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • YES!!!! I am quoted and get credit!!! Thank you! :)

    I look forward to making fun of you tomorrow!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home