Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oh No -- They Got to Tommy!

Saw this a few days ago and was shocked. Shocked, I tell you:

Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda's second game as the Dodgers manager in place of Joe Torre left him feeling a little sick. Los Angeles managed just two hits, home runs by Andre Ethier and minor leaguer Jamie Hoffman, and the Dodgers split
squad fell 10-4 to the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. "Every time I looked up, I kind of got sick," said the 80-year-old Lasorda, filling in for Torre while he's in China with part of the Dodgers team that will play the San Diego Padres twice this weekend. The Dodgers lost to Florida 7-6 in Lasorda's first game as their manager since he retired in 1996. The Dodgers have focused on manufacturing runs through aggressive base-running, but it only took them so far against the Nationals. "You've got to be able to get them on to do it," Lasorda said.

Have to get runners on base to score runs??? Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Lasorda had been reading that new-fangled sabermetric crap, instead of the tried-and-true baseball knowledge that has been passed down from on high.

If the Moneyball geeks have got to Tommy, what chance do the rest of us have?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Hey there...I decided to link to your blog so that I can help myself and my 12 readers keep track of Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett. Us Twins fans are going to miss them this year, so be gentle and write nice stuff, ok?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 PM  

  • HA...this came up when I did a search for Rays blogs...and clearly I wasn't paying much attention. I think I might link to it anyway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home