Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Trust Them – They’re Experts!

Tuned in to Baseball Tonight Monday. I knew I was in trouble when I saw that the assembled “experts” were Harold Reynolds, John Kruk, and Steve Phillips.

My fears were confirmed when Harold said that it was easier to hit if the team’s pitching was lousy. His theory was that if you know your pitchers are going to give up a lot of runs, you’re more focused on scoring runs and, as a result, will score more runs. If your pitching is good, you won’t score as much because you know you’ll only need to score one or two runs to win. Kruk rushed in to agree.

Phillips took another view. I’m not sure what it was. The chiron on the screen said something about how pitchers earn the run support they get, and I immediately muted the TV to spare my brain a full-on attack of stupidity.

Come on, Harold -- if teams with bad pitching have an easier time hitting, then why aren’t the Royals scoring nine runs a night?

I though that this discussion was perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen on Baseball Tonight. I was wrong. Later in the show, the panel discussed which non-baseball athletes of the past reminded them of today’s stars.

No, I’m not making this up. Viewers were treated to Harold talking about how Derek Jeter is like Roger Staubach, Kruk going on about Albert Pujols’ similarity to Larry Bird, and Phillips comparing Bobby Jenks to William Perry.

Jeebus help us. Is it possible for a sports show to jump the shark?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home