Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Greatest?

I really hate these West Coast road trips. Not only are my heroes playing well past my bed time, but up here in the hinterlands, the regional version of the Tribune doesn’t have the late box score.

As a result, instead of a game story, I’m left with puff pieces. Like the one Paul Sullivan wrote the other day about how Greg Maddux is slowly catching up with Roger Clemens on the career wins list. Sully postulates that if Maddux does get the twenty or so additional wins to move him past Clemens, Maddux just might be the best pitcher of our time.

Sadly, no. Maddux is a terrific pitcher. But Clemens is, by almost every measurement, better. And, as Jim and I were discussing the other day, Clemens just might be the best pitcher of all time.

That’s not a knock on Maddux – he’s probably Top Twenty. And that’s still really, really good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home