Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Why Not DH?

Every year the debate over the designated hitter returns when the horror known as interleague play rears its ugly head. I've been a National League fan all my life, and had never supported making the DH universal.

Until now. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe I'm just tired of fighting. While I don't care for the DH on principle, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if the National League adopted the DH.

Oh, I'm still a baseball purist. I prefer grass fields, day games on the radio, and (when I visit the yard) moderately volumed organ music instead of ear-shattering pop music.

But the DH has been around for over thirty years, and I can't think of anyway it's hurt the AL. Hell, I'm hard-pressed to find reasons why the AL isn't better than the NL at this point.

And since it appears that the wretchedness of interleague play is not going away any time soon, it would be nice if the rules were uniform. There's nothing more annoying than listening to some AL manager whine about how unfair it is when they have to play in an NL park.

I kid, of course. But I do understand their point of view. Is there a good reason why they have to play six or nine games under different rules than they use for the rest of the year?

No, there isn't. The NL has already bought into the gimmick of interleague play. Why not go all the way and accept the DH?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home