Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Send Him Home

Just something I’ve noticed over the last few months, and wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar. This has been more prevalent on the national broadcasts, rather than local, but I still find it intriguing...

Imagine a close play at the plate. If the runner scores, the vast majority of the time (based on my own small sample, about 80% of the time) the announcers will rave about how the guy did a really great job rounding third, or sliding into home, or some other base running feat.

But if the guy is out at the plate, the vast majority of the time (about 80% again), the announcers will call out the third base coach for taking foolish risks.

Any ideas why that may be? Is it easier for the media to throw a coach under the bus than a player they may have to interview later?

I don’t have any in-depth research for this (just what I’ve seen on TV). It just struck me as odd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home