Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Why I Love Ron Santo

If you ever have a chance to listen to the Cubs’ radio broadcasts, I strongly urge you to take it. Pat Hughes and Ron Santo are great to listen to.

A lot of people slam Santo because he’s not a polished broadcaster. But that’s one reason why I love him so. At heart, he’s a Cub Fan, just like me. And every once in a while, a little more of that Cub Fan will break through than the WGN radio suits would like.

Like tonight, when I will swear on a stack of bibles that I heard Ron say the “S” word on air.

Fortunately, Hughes is a polished broadcasting professional. So after a moment of awkward silence, Hughes said, “Sometimes the fans get a little too close to our field mikes. We should be more careful about that.” He and Ron then shared a manly laugh.

It’s not a lot, I know. But allow me my little pleasures as this season winds towards its close. And Ronnie, if you’re reading, I’ll chip in $10 if the FCC decides to make an example of you…

1 Comments:

  • My favorite Santo expression --- OOH MAN--- then you know sometime bad has happened.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home