Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Announcing His Intentions

Here's what Dodger announcer Vin Scully told Yahoo sports about the prospect of Barry Bonds' record-setting home run:

That time is upon us now. And I can't imagine what it's going to be like. I really don't want to...I'd like to think I'm the rare announcer who can keep his opinion out of it. That's not my job. I'm here to tell the story of what's happening at that particular moment and putting it into the appropriate context.

Wow. I think that qualifies as a professional, rational point of view, expecially when contrasted with some of what I've heard from the baseball punditocracy. Care to elaborate, Vin?
I probably would just as soon it not happen against the Dodgers. With Aaron, it was a privilege to be there when he did it. It was just a great moment. With Bonds, no matter what happens now, it will be an awkward moment. That's the best word I can think of now. If I had my druthers, I would rather have that awkward moment happen to somebody else.

Never mind. So much for keeping his opinion out of it...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home