Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Must-See TV

Here's a question for our readers (and you too, Bob). Who are your favorite players to watch? I watch at least a couple of games almost every night, and usually bits and pieces of other games. But when I know that Ichiro is coming up, I switch over to the Mariners. If Johan Santana is starting for the Twins, I almost always tune in. These are my top ten guys that I consider Must-See TV:

1. Ichiro. I know the complaints. He doesn't walk enough, he doesn't hit with power. But I almost think that he can get a hit every time up. Good pitcher, bad pitcher, or in between, Ichiro gets his hits. It's fun to watch pitchers and catchers trying to figure out a way to stop a guy who can slap the ball safely no matter what kind of pitch you throw him, or where you throw it.

2. Johan Santana. It's not just that he's so good. Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Pedro Martinez are about as good, and Justin Verlander is already getting close. It's the way he makes even good hitters look totally stupid with that insane changeup that makes him so much fun to watch.

3. Albert Pujols. Worth tuning into every at-bat. This is how I used to feel about Barry Bonds, before managers decided to just start walking Bonds every time up.

4-6. Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, Bobby Jenks. It's pretty damned cool to see that radar gun hit triple digits.

7. Julio Franco. Because someone who can still hit at his age is worth watching.

8. Jamie Moyer. Penn and Teller have nothing on his illusions. Every pitch looks like it should be beaten like a mule, and yet he gets batters out, year after year. See, folks, nothing up my sleeve...

9. Prince Fielder. The start of something and someone big.

10. Scott Baker. Not that he's anything special, but it's worth watching for another appearance of Nutty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home