Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Who’s Running the Show? (Part 1)

The biggest trade in Chicago is one that hasn’t been made yet. Everybody wants to know where Greg Maddux will wind up.

In my mind, everyone is available for the right price. So I’m not one of those Cub Fans who gets bent out of shape at the thought of one of their favorites being shipped off like a piece of meat.

But what makes me laugh about the whole situation is how people talk about it. The Conventional Wisdom is that the Cubs somehow owe it to Maddux to trade him to a contender, for no other reason than the fact that Maddux is a future Hall of Famer and all-around swell guy.

If we can get something decent back for Maddux, I’ll help pack his bags. If not, I don’t care how nice a guy he is, he gets to play out the season with the rest of us.

Maddux, to his credit, hasn’t publicly lobbied for a trade, or griped about his situation. I hope he pitches well wherever he winds up. Especially if he can get us two or three good prospects in return.

By the way, all the gab about a possible Maddux trade has resurrected the scripts about the first time Maddux left the Cubs (as a free agent after the 1992 season). Of course, the scripts are full of holes. If I get time, I’ll fire up the Way-Back Machine and explore what really happened...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home