Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

If I Wanted to Count, I'd Be in School

Sports Illustrated's Frank Deford says that pitch counts are ruining the game.

According to Deford, pitch counts are bad because (a) it makes teams beholden to agents (who don't want their clients to suffer injuries from overuse) and (b) teams want their batters to work the count more, because that increases pitch counts and gets those pampered pitchers out of the game quicker. Oh, and all those batters working the count bore him.

He also mentions Hamlet and Robert Coover's novel The Universal Baseball Association into his argument. No, it doesn't make any sense to me, either. But then again, I'm just a schmuck in my basement, and he's the expert. Who are you gonna believe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home