Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Friday, September 29, 2006

MVP, MVP...huh?

Twins fan did the MVP chant every time Justin Morneau came to the plate tonight. No disrespect to Morneau, who I think is a terrific hitter, but can't Twins fan even identify the best player on their own team?

I'm not going to tell you who I think the MVPs are (that's a subject for after the games are all played), but I will tell you that the best player on the Twins is Johan Santana. I'm not sure how anyone could look at this team and say otherwise.

But if you subscribe to the idiot theory that pitchers can't be the MVP because they already have the Cy Young Award, how about Joe Mauer? I don't notice too many catchers with a .432 on-base percentage around these days.

Morneau's candidacy rests on one number: his 129 RBI. Who, exactly, do you think he's been driving in? Someday the writers who vote for MVP will wean themselves from their infantile fascination with RBI, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

Anyone who drives in 129 runs has done something, and Justin Morneau has been a huge component in the Twins' incredible run to the postseason. But MVP? He shouldn't be in the discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home