Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Solid Gold

Bob and I were talking today about the Rawlings Gold Glove anniversary voting that he mentioned here yesterday. That reminded me that I had already cast my vote, even though it wasn't my idea first. If you're really curious, here's how I voted.

Starting from 1957:

C Johnny Bench
1B Wes Parker
2B Frank White
3B Brooks Robinson
SS Ozzie Smith
LF Barry Bonds
CF Willie Mays
RF Roberto Clemente
P Jim Kaat

I'm one of those who believes that each OF position should have a representative, instead of three centerfielders. If you really want two more centerfielders, add Garry Maddox and Andrew Jones, or Curt Flood.

The Rawlings voting starts at 1957 because that was the first year in which they awarded Gold Gloves. Prior to 1957:

C Ray Schalk
1B Frank McCormick
2B Bid McPhee
3B Willie Kamm
SS Phil Rizzuto
LF Al Simmons
CF Tris Speaker
RF Kiki Cuyler
P Bobby Schantz

As before, replace Simmons and Cuyler with Joe and Vince DiMaggio, if you wish. Or Dom, for that matter. Any DiMaggio, really. Except maybe John. Although I think Bender might have a 30% gold glove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home