Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

That’s My Boy!

So I’m watching the game with my younger offspring. Out of nowhere, he asks, “What’s Marco Scutaro’s on base percentage?”

Of course, I hadn’t the faintest idea. But I was intrigued, so I asked him why he wanted to know. “Because it’s important,” he said.

And why is it so important, I asked the lad. “Because it measures how often the batter gets on base, and that’s the most important thing a batter can do.”

True story, swear to God. And I also swear I haven’t preached to him any of them funny sabremetric hoo-hahs that those old-school baseball guys find so offensive.

But if an eight year old can figure this out by himself, why is it so darned hard for those old-school baseball guys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home