Jim & Bob's Palatial Baseball Blog

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

There Is An "I" In Sheffield

I'd certainly welcome this guy to my team:

"Here's some friendly advice. If you want to trade for me, you have to deal with me directly. Trust me, you won't want me there if I'm not happy. I don't care if I love the owner, if I love the GM, if I love the city. I'm going on my terms."

What if you are traded without getting new contract?

"That's the worst thing to do for the other team because I would be forced to come to [them]. If they trade me, the other team better come talk to me first. That's going to make a major problem worse. Even Atlanta."

Would you retire?

"It would depend where they sent me. There are several places I wouldn't play....
If I just go to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem. A big problem. I will not do this."

That's Gary Sheffield, disgruntled outfielder. For a 38-year old who can't play the outfield any more and missed three quarters of the 2006 season with injuries, he's certainly got a high opinion of his current value. I suspect he's in for a rude surprise. And if he finds a team who shares his opinions, they are in for a shock, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home